Monday, February 11, 2013

Emotional Eating

On Super Bowl Sunday my grandma passed away from cancer. She recently told us that she was sick and I was thankful to see her one last time before she went, especially so she could meet Malachi. I was shocked to hear that she had died when she did. I expected to be able to see her at least another time. After my initial tears, I was able to hold it together pretty well. Thoughts would hit me now and again but I was not taking it as hard as other members in my family. But then, on this past Sunday morning, it all hit me. As I was getting ready for church, I reached to put on this Avon unscented hand cream. My grandma hated smells. She had given me this lotion. I just started to cry.

The rest of the day, I went on an emotional eating binge. I was totally eating my feelings. Candy, burrito and fries, ice cream. I did not hold back. I'm fact, I felt sick by the end of the night.

I know this is not a healthy way to handle emotions. I wish I were one of those people who go on a run when they're upset. Instead, I go straight to the kitchen.

The thing that I realized is that that one day will not hurt me. I indulged and then woke up, ready to brace my healthy habits again. I'm not sure this is the best advice or example but I'm just keepin' it real. For many people their "one day" turns into everyday. Luckily I was able to move on from my binge with a 1.5 lb weight gain and that's it. Perhaps in the future, I will attempt a healthier way to control my emotions.


In memory of my grandma. A picture of her and grandpa bob at my wedding.

1 comment:

  1. Next time you feel like running, run over to my house and then we will drive to Del Taco which is very close to Baskin Robbins.
    You will think of your grandma at funny times in the years to come and hopefully those memories will bring a smile to your face.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Pages