Thursday, January 3, 2013

treadmill wars: the joys of a gym workout

We recently moved into an apartment complex that has a small gym. Inside there are two treadmills. This often times denies the luxury of the third treadmill buffer, leaving no other choice but to run side by side with another apartment gym rat.

Every time I walk up to the glass door, I secretly hope that I will have the place to myself. Last night I was not so lucky. Two high school boys were finishing their lifting routine as I entered. Obviously uncomfortable with sharing the confined space, they both left.

So I'm running (*speed walking at a slight incline), when a grey-hooded man enters and takes up the treadmill next to mine. As he begins his workout I immediately feel intimidated at his initial incline choice. Is this guy training to hike Everest or what? I increase my speed. Soon I hear his footsteps pounding on the spinning belt at double the speed of mine. I shoot a quick glance to see a 6.0 speed. I begin to run but am sure to show more control than this amateur, landing as softly as possible with each step. We keep this up for some time before he moves to the elliptical. Yes! I stayed on for a few more minutes to have the last laugh.

I'm pretty sure I made up this friendly competition in my head but it totally works! The joys of being in the gym!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages